How much are you allowed to work and earn as a job student?
If you start working as a job student, you should take care not to exceed a certain number of legal restrictions.
- You are entitled to 600 hours per year, during which you are allowed to work at reduced social contributions.
- You can combine the 600 hour quota with 190 hours of association work, but within certain legal limits. Want to know more? Check the page The association work regime.
- You must respect the rules of your child benefit fund regarding the number of hours you are allowed to work per quarter. Links to the sites of the various child benefit funds can be found on our page about the right to child benefit.
- If you earn too much, it is possible that:
- you will have to pay taxes yourself, and;
- your parents will have to pay higher taxes, since you are no longer considered under their responsibility financially.
Read the summarizing infographic ‘4 things to remember’.